Monday, October 3, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

About an hour and a half southeast of Atlanta in Juliette Georgia there is a small unassuming building that played the center of a movie I wish I lived in, The Whistle Stop Cafe.  I read the Fannie Flagg book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' and fell in love with Miss Ruth, Idgie, Big George, Sipsy, and Smokey Lonesome, but after watching the movie I wished I could live in Whistle Stop and spend my days gossiping at the Whistle Stop Cafe while enjoying fried green tomaotes.


Whistle Stop Cafe, Juliette Georgia

Set just feet away from the railroad track is the beautiful covered front porch and store front to the Whistle Stop Cafe.  Although the book and movie take place in Alabama much of the filming took place at the Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette Georgia. 

Fried green tomatoes are on the menu along with many other southern favorites.  While there you can stay at the Jerrell 1920 House Bed and Breakfast.  The Jerrell 1920 house was built by lumber felled and milled on the Jerrell property.  The house has been completely restored to the original condition and offers a simple stay.

Story has it that in this small town just out beynd the cafe there once was a pond.  One fall a flock of ducks flew into town and landed right in that pond.  Well, one night the tempurture drop so suddenly that the pond froze and froze the ducks right there in the pond.  Well those ducks flew off taking the pond with them.  Thats what I hear anyways.

I have watched the movie at least fifty times and I still cry at alomost every scene.  I cry when Buddy dies, when Smokey Lonesome is shaking to much to eat his dinner and apologizes to Idgie for it.  I continue to cry when Miss Ruth brings a blanket out to Smokey Lonesome on a cold night and I ball my eyes out when Miss Ruth dies just as though I lost my best friend.  I love the idea of the simple yet complicated life of those who become our friends in Fired Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment