Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shawshank Redemption

Ever since Andy Dufresne and Red reunited on the beach in Zihuatanejo at the end of the Shawshank Redemption I have wanted to visit there.  I'm not sure if the draw is the beautiful blue water or how happy the ending of the movie makes me, but I long to walk on that beach.

There are two possilbe origins for the name Zihuatanejo, one meaning "Water of the Yellow Mountain" and the other meaning, "Place of Women".  The town's history is one a sleepy fishing village but in the 1970's it began to transform into a resort town and today is the third most visited town in Mexico after Cancun and Puerto Vallarta.


If Zihuatanejo was good enough for Andy Dufresne then it is good enough for me.  I just hope I don't cry like I do every time a watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment